Get ready to add some festive sweetness to your holiday gatherings with this delicious White Chocolate Christmas Chex Mix with M&M’s recipe. The combination of crunchy Chex cereal, pretzels, marshmallows, and M&M’s coated in creamy white chocolate is a delightful treat that captures the holiday spirit in every bite. Join the fun with our other quick and easy recipes: Reindeer Nose Treats (Rolo Pretzel Bites), the colorful Christmas Rice Krispie Treats with M&M’s, and adorable and Easy Rolo Pretzel Reindeer. Each recipe is designed to bring ease, joy, and delicious flavors to your Christmas celebrations.
Why White Chocolate Chex Mix is the Perfect Holiday Snack
- Quick & Easy: In just minutes, you can whip up a batch of this delightful mix, leaving more time for wrapping presents and making memories.
- Kid-Friendly Fun: Let your little helpers join in the fun by adding the M&M’s or shaking on the powdered sugar. It’s a festive favorite that kids adore, especially when it comes to eating part!
- Perfect for Sharing: This Chex Mix is an ideal treat for a variety of occasions. Whether you’re at a school party or enjoying a cozy family movie night, its delightful flavors and textures make it perfect for sharing. It’s a fantastic choice for festive gatherings and memorable moments throughout the year.
- A Year-Round Treat: While the White Chocolate Chex Mix is a holiday staple in my kitchen, its appeal doesn’t end with the season. When the festive season is over, simply swap the holiday-themed M&Ms for classic ones. The result? A versatile Chex mix that remains a crowd-pleaser no matter the time of year. Its adaptability make it a go-to snack for any occasion.
Ingredients for White Chocolate Christmas Chex Mix with M&M’s
- Chex cereal: The foundation of your mix, Chex cereal is known for its delightful crunch and ability to hold up well against coatings and mix-ins. It’s the perfect base, offering a satisfying texture that contrasts beautifully with the smoother elements in the mix. Plus, its nooks and crannies are excellent for catching and holding onto the white chocolate.
- White chocolate: White chocolate provides a rich, creamy coating that transforms the humble cereal into a decadent treat. Its smooth, sweet taste complements the other ingredients and acts as a binding agent, helping to cluster the mix together for that satisfying crunch. The star of the show is undoubtedly the white chocolate. I recommend pure white chocolate, which is sold in 4-ounce bars.
- M&M’s: The hard candy shell gives a little snap, followed by the melt-in-your-mouth chocolate inside. Choosing festive red and green M&M’s amplifies the holiday vibe. They’re like little ornaments, adding flavor and color to your snack!
- Pretzels: Pretzels introduce a savory twist that balances the sweetness of the white chocolate and M&M’s. Their salty flavor and crunchy texture are the perfect counterpoints, adding depth and complexity to the mix.
- Powdered sugar: This sugar adds a light, snowy dusting to your mix, enhancing the sweetness and giving it a festive, wintery look. It makes the mix look like it’s been dusted with a fresh layer of holiday snow, adding to the overall charm and appeal.
- Marshmallows: Adding marshmallows to your White Chocolate Christmas Chex Mix provides a delightful, gooey texture that pairs wonderfully with the crunchy cereal and pretzels.
How to make White Chocolate Chex Mix with M&M’s®
Besides being delicious, this Chex mix recipe is also quite effortless. Toss, stir and shake! It’s ready in no time. What’s not to love?! Here’s the simple method:
- Prepare ingredients: In large bowl, mix cereal, marshmallows and pretzels.
2. Melt white chocolate. You can also use almond bark or melting white/vanilla candy wafers. I used these Ghirardelli white chocolate bars, sold as 4-ounce bars. In a medium microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate uncovered on High for 60 to 90 seconds, stirring after 1 minute until almost melted. Stir until smooth. Pour onto cereal mixture; mix well.
3. Pour white chocolate over cereal mix. Carefully mix to coat the cereal mixture.
5. Shake. In 2-gallon resealable food-storage plastic bag, add coated cereal pieces and powdered sugar. Seal bag; shake to coat. Remove from bag; discard any remaining powdered sugar.
4. Mix. Pour the mixture back into the bowl and fold in the M&M’s.
Tips for White Chocolate Chex Mix with M&M’s
- Use Quality Chocolate: Opt for high-quality white chocolate for a smoother, creamier taste. Good quality chocolate will melt better and coat the Chex mix more evenly.
- Dry Ingredients First: Before adding the melted white chocolate, make sure your Chex cereal and pretzels are completely dry and free of moisture. This helps the chocolate adhere better and keeps the mix crunchy.
- Add M&M’s at the End: To prevent the colors from bleeding, let the mix cool slightly after adding the white chocolate before sprinkling in the M&M’s. This way, the M&M’s stay bright and festive.
- Powdered Sugar Technique: For an even coating, place the powdered sugar and chocolate-coated mix in a large resealable plastic bag or a container with a lid. Shake it until each piece is well coated. This also adds an element of fun if you’re making the snack with kids.
- Customize Your Mix: Feel free to add other elements like dried cranberries, nuts, or coconut flakes for extra flavor and texture. Just make sure to add them before the white chocolate so they stick well.
- Dark Chocolate Delight: Swap the white chocolate for dark chocolate to add a rich, bittersweet flavor that contrasts beautifully with the sweet M&M’s and powdered sugar.
- Nutty Twist: Add roasted almonds, peanuts, or pecans for a crunchy, nutty element. This adds depth to the flavor and a bit more substance to the snack mix.
- Peppermint Punch: Crush peppermint candies or candy canes and sprinkle them into the mix for a minty, festive flavor. This is especially perfect for the holiday season.
- Salted Caramel Indulgence: Drizzle salted caramel over the mix after the white chocolate layer for a gooey, sweet and salty experience. Allow it to set before breaking into pieces.
- S’mores Galore: Add mini marshmallows, graham cracker pieces, and a drizzle of milk chocolate to turn your Chex mix into a s’mores-inspired treat.
- Berry Festive: Add dried cranberries or freeze-dried strawberries for a pop of color and a tart contrast to the sweet and salty components of the mix.
- Cheerful Colors: Use M&M’s in various colors to match different themes or holidays, like pastels for Easter, orange and black for Halloween, or your favorite team’s colors for game day.
- Chex Cereal Alternatives:
- Gluten-Free Option: Use a gluten-free rice or corn-based cereal if you’re catering to gluten sensitivities.
- Other Cereals: Rice Krispies or puffed rice can also work as a lighter alternative.
- White Chocolate Substitutes:
- Dairy-Free/Vegan White Chocolate: Look for dairy-free or vegan white chocolate options if you’re avoiding dairy or animal products.
- Almond Bark or Candy Melts: These can be used for a similar effect and are often easier to melt.
- M&M’s Substitutes:
- Colored Sprinkles or Candy Pieces: If you’re looking for a non-chocolate option or just something different, colored sprinkles or candy pieces can add a festive touch.
- Dried Fruit: For a healthier, natural sweetness, try dried cranberries, raisins, or chopped apricots.
- Pretzel Alternatives:
- Gluten-Free Pretzels: Easily swap regular pretzels with a gluten-free version if needed.
- Rice Cakes or Popcorn: These can add a similar salty crunch without gluten.
- Powdered Sugar Substitutes:
- Powdered Sugar Alternative: Use a powdered sugar substitute like a powdered form of stevia or monk fruit for a lower-sugar option.
- Cocoa Powder: For a chocolatey dusting, mix cocoa powder with your powdered sugar.
- Vegan Marshmallows: If you’ve added marshmallows to your mix and need a vegan option, look for gelatin-free marshmallows.
Please note that although substitutions can often be made successfully, they may, however, alter the final dish’s taste, texture, or appearance. Therefore, we’ve provided recommendations for substitutes based on their similar properties to the original ingredients, but keep in mind that results can vary. If you have dietary restrictions or are missing an ingredient, you certainly can experiment, yet it’s important to remember that the original version of the recipe was tested with the listed ingredients.
Decorating and Storing White Chocolate Chcex Mix for Gift-Giving
- Festive Containers:
- Creative Packaging:
- Cellophane bags tied with colorful ribbons or twine make for a simple yet elegant presentation.
- Custom labels or tags with a personal message or the recipe name add a thoughtful touch.
- Add Finishing Touches:
- Include a decorative spoon or scoop tied to the jar for convenience.
- Add small ornaments, pine cones, or holly sprigs for a festive flair.
- Handwritten notes or recipe cards with the White Chocolate Chex Mix recipe show extra care and personalization.
Storing for Gift-Giving:
- Ensure Freshness:
- Make sure the Chex Mix is completely cool before packaging to prevent condensation and sogginess.
- Airtight Sealing:
- Use airtight containers or well-sealed bags to retain the crunch and prevent the mix from going stale.
- Protect from Heat:
- Store the packaged gifts in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight or heat sources to prevent the chocolate from melting.
- Short-Term vs. Long-Term:
- If the gifts will be given within a few days, most packaging options will work fine.
- For longer storage, consider vacuum sealing or containers that provide a tighter seal.
- Transport Carefully:
- If you’re transporting the gifts, ensure they’re packed securely to prevent jostling and crushing the mix.
Yes, you can make this mix several days ahead of time. Just ensure it’s appropriately stored in an airtight container at room temperature to maintain its freshness and crunch.
When stored correctly in an airtight container, the mix can stay fresh for up to two weeks. Ensure it’s kept in a cool, dry place to extend its shelf life.
Yes, you can freeze it for longer storage. Place it in a freezer-safe, airtight container or bag. It can last for several months frozen. Thaw at room temperature before serving.
Use holiday-themed M&M’s, add sprinkles, or drizzle with colored chocolate. You can also add crushed peppermint candies or cinnamon for a seasonal flavor.
White Chocolate Christmas Chex Mix with M&M’s
- 6 cups (162 g) Rice Chex™ or Corn Chex™ cereal
- 2 cups (60 g) miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup (30 g) mini pretzels
- 15 oz white chocolate
- 1 cup (170 grams) M&M's™
- 3/4 cup (90 g) powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 g) Diamond Crystal kosher salt; for table salt, use about half as much by volume or the same weight
- Line large rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper. In large bowl, mix cereal, marshmallows and pretzels.
- In large bowl, mix cereal, marshmallows and pretzels.
- Melt white chocolate. You can use a double boiler or a microwave. If using the microwave, Microwave for 20 seconds at 100 percent power or 30 seconds at 50 percent power, then stir. Repeat until the chocolate is mostly melted, then stir to melt the last remaining bits of chocolate completely. Pour melted chocolate over the cereal, stirring and folding until the cereal is completely covered.
- Pour the warm chocolate-covered cereal into a large zipped-top bag or sealable container. Add the confectioners’ sugar and salt. Seal the bag or container and shake until all the cereal is coated with the confectioners’ sugar.
- Discard any excess confectioners’ sugar.
- In large serving bowl, mix coated cereal mixture and M&M'S®.
- Store at room temperature up to 1 week or in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, if it lasts that long!
- Make Ahead & Freezing Instructions: This snack mix can be prepped a week ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to serve. You can also prepare and freeze this snack mix for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator or at room temperature before serving.
Let me know if you try these Reindeer Nose Treats (Rolo Pretzel Bites). Leave a comment, and if your family loves it as much as mine, give it a five-star ⭐️ rating! Join our mailing list to receive more delicious recipes delivered to your inbox.